A brief history of the Butler Church Bell

Butler Church Bell

The Freestone County Museum observed its 40th anniversary since opening in 1967. It is now located in the third jail building built about 1885 and used until the fourth, which was located on the courthouse square was built in 1911 and used until 1974. There are many early things to been here, with the planned expansion from a gracious local grant there should be much more. 
On the outside grounds there are more displays with two early Freestone County log houses, an early church building, and an old church bell with an interesting history. Didn't realize until recently how much the Trinity River played in the early development and settlement of Freestone and the other counties joining it. 
Bill Young's informative research and articles in the Corsicana paper have brought much out. 
He writes about the early settlements that didn't become permanent and the riverboats, sternwheelers, barges, and steam boats that carried passengers and supplies.
The old bell was displayed at the Butler Church and bought when part of the property was condemned and sold with the expansion
of U.S. 84 in the early 1960's. It was bought by Clay and Mildred Burkhart who donated it to the museum. Mrs.Burkhart's grandfather, Rev. J. W. Richardson once was pastor here as was Rev. G.W. Baines great-grandfather of President L. B. Johnson.

 

 

<a href="http://www.etypeservices.com/Fairfield%20RecorderID278/"><span style="font-size:110%; font-family: calibri, arial, sans, sans-serif; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">To read the entire story, please log in or subscribe to the digital edition.</span></a></div>

Rate this article: 
No votes yet