Rock House lived on in later landmarks

This undated photo shows people at what appears to be the Johnson Cemetery with the Rock House in the background. The house is gone and the Johnson Cemetery remains were removed to the Fairfield Cemetery.

Photo from USGenWeb

Northeast of Fairfield is the Grange Hall community.  
Gen. Joseph B. Johnson, a wealthy large plantation owner, built a mansion of native sandstone rocks.  
It is reported it took 100 artisans a year to complete with stone quarried on his land in 1860.  
It was the scene of many social and political gatherings.  
After the General’s death, the two story mansion

 

To read the entire story, please log in or subscribe to the digital edition.

Rate this article: 
No votes yet