Ports, ferries part of county history

Article Image Alt Text

Ferries made it possible to cross the Trinity River at several locations in Freestone County. Bonner’s Ferry, above and below, was one of the principal ferries - operating until it was replaced by a one-lane span in 1927 at Bonner’s Ferry location on US 84 and 79 today.

Photos from Freestone County Historical Museum

The Trinity River has been identified as the stream which the Caddo Indians called Arkikosa in Central Texas and Daycoa nearer the coast.
In 1687, the famous French explorer Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle called it the River of Canoes.
Named in early 1700s by Spanish Explorer Alonza De Leon who crossed the river on Trinity Sunday.
The Trinity River has played a big part in Freestone County


To read the entire story, please log in or subscribe to the digital edition.

Rate this article: 
No votes yet